Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Somewhere over the dinner table.

Sooo: I did a superb gig Sat night, it was for cancer research in Battersea Park Millennium athletics stadium and was kind of a day of folk type singers with a couple of small unsigned bands thrown in for good measure.

I'd forgotten just what a pain in the arse some ( not all ) new bands can be, especially after working with professionals all summer.

Note to new bands: A sound check is there for one reason and one reason only.

To get your on stage sound right for your gig later on.

It is therefore NOT ( see the big NO in NOT ) a time for you to:
  1. Rehearse
  2. Show the world just how good you and your band think you are?
  3. Trawl through your full set (yawn!!)
  4. Show the world how much of a brilliant Guitarist/drummer/vocalist/recorder/triangle player you've become after five minutes of learning your instrument in your bedroom. (hint: you're not!!)
  5. A time to fuck around for an hour or so, completely screwing up the following bands sound checks??
  6. And...Definitely not a time for you to be telling me that your guitar/bass/violin sound isn't right and can I fix it? Answer: NO... I JUST MAKE YOU LOUDER, THE REST IS UP TO YOU! IT'S YOUR FUKIN BAND YOU KNOW!!!
Jeez Louise.

The mad thing about it was the final act. It was around 9:30pm and the Sun had set. The stadium flood lights had been on for a good hour and the promoter made the venue turn them off while a bunch of people placed candles around the perimeter of the running track.

Then there were a bunch of people talking about cancer research followed by a minutes silence and then ( my fave bit ) This opera singer came on-stage and sang Somewhere over the Rainbow, kinda brought a lump to my throat as I lost both my parents to cancer about 7 years ago. All a bit moving methinks. It really did sound superb as her vocals bounced around the local tower blocks.

All good.

Sunday I went to Bibi's house where she threw a superb dinner party for fourteen ( yep fourteen) of her friends.

If the way to a mans heart is through his stomach...

Then this girl is completely fucked!! [read: reverse sarcasm]

She has this habit of bringing people together who are total opposites in every way.

I guess it's that half Italian large gathering of friends and family gene thing going on.

I ain't complaining

We all drank and played poker till the early wee hours of the morn.

I stayed Sun, we hung out yesterday and I stayed again last night.

Hmmm!

The man who saved the world ( A true but very scary story )

OK, I'm going food shopping

Laters

8 Comments:

Blogger doktored said...

Bit harsh on unsigned bands? I usually find them very polite and will do what you say - not wanting to offend.

It is the ego ridden bands that want a rehearse a million tracks before.

Also...I bet Soundmen give new bands more of a raw deal then new bands do to soundmen.

ALSO! Don't you hate!!! (I do with a passion) anyone that complains about the on stage sound at a show. Your live - get used to it if you can't play without hearing the second vocalist big fucking deal you shouldn't be on stage in the first place.
Rah

4:25 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Yeah I guess.Although it doesn't apply to all new bands.

Yes I do hate, especially with guitarists who can't seem to work out that; My big Marshall stack ( turned full up) is twice the size of the stage wedge... so how come I can't hear my vocals??

Doh!!

4:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Was the food that bad then??

10:47 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

No Jo,not at all. Guess sarcasm doesn't work that well in print!

10:50 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Well reverse sarcasm anyway!

10:54 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha whoopsy...sarcasm tends to lose some of its force somewhat in text :D

11:17 pm  
Blogger Butchie said...

We really need to run through our whole set, to see if we need to cut or add any songs.

5:08 am  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Yes butchie, yes we do!

I thought about dropping:

My mother was an axe weilding ferret
killer (till she discovered pretzels.)

For:

The blueberry pie song ( no it's not..yes it is!).

Wadda ya think?

12:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home