Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Hacioldskool

Ok, have you every wondered before if some of the great male romantic poets: could have in fact been... female?

No? Join the club, me neither really!!

I digress

I'm being proper lazy this week. I guess I'm calling it my Easter Hols, but fuck do I need the rest. So I'm taking some time off.

A pretty easy day in the studio tomorrow and then the club friday.

I'll pull up some mixes and finish them though. Soo even when I'm not working I'm still working...

Hmm!!

Listening to: The Hacienda Classics

Oooo mate, this Cd takes me back. 3cd's of absolute classics from what was (supposedly) one of the most influential clubs in the world. I went to the Hacienda in 1993 (showing my age now eh) and thought it was a fukin horrible place, it was full of scummy gangsters trying to sell pills and generally putting a downer on everything!! Nope, as far as I'm concerned there were much better clubs going on at the time such as Wigan Pier, Club Havana Middlesbrough, Spectrum London and The Sub Club in Glasgow to name a few. The Hacienda stole the limelight for some fukin reason though?

I can remember leaving the Hacienda at about 1am in a real hurry with three of my mates after a particularly nasty ruk in the toilets when a couple of scummy Mancs tried to tax us for all our drugs, clothes (yeah clothes??) and cash..

Did they get anything? Yeah, a couple of sore fukin heads after being bashed off the cistern and the very aesthetically pleasing (especially with the added red hue) faucet...Ha!!!

That'll teach ya!!

We only went there for a fukin dance as well...Twats!!

Great CD though, whoever compiled it actually knew what the fuck they were doing. Which kinda makes a change. I've listened to a lot of seemingly "Oldskool Classic" Cd's before and they are neither Classic nor Oldskool? This one is bang on the money though.

This is a good list of Classic Oldskool dance tracks I have a track in the Golden years 1992 section( obviously the best year eh!!) , so it's just gotta be fukin right!!!

The Hacienda from the outside ©Aidan O'Rourke 1999 ( used without kind permission. I did try to get in touch but your site seeems to have disappeared mate? So I hope you don't mind.)


Yep listening to this took me back (Way Back!!) To the hedonistic days of touring the rave scene, doing stupid amounts of pills and speed and basically just going absolutely looney tunes up and down the country for five years. Do I miss it? Fukin damn right I do!!

Ha!!

Woohoo!!

Also... sign me up please!

Laters.

16 Comments:

Blogger roxyfoxy said...

Great post good ole days hu ! when pills were good !

3:46 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Yep dear when pills were blindingly good..

Don't seem worth touching em nowadays?

7:32 pm  
Blogger Cind said...

MDMA - lost on the pills in the mid 90's shite. The Pier was good tho' even if the parking was shite.....

8:50 pm  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Certainly was.Think I did 3 gigs at the Pier and loved em all..

9:02 pm  
Blogger Doom/Blondie said...

even though I am 27, and actually too young for old skool -

I LOVE IT.

I have a gabillion old skool tunes on me ipod.

i love it..

LOVE IT

x

1:55 am  
Blogger Chris said...

*sigh* 1992.

My first English rave wouldn't be till I hit Creamfields in 1999. Speake Airfield. Fucking scousers were still shady then and put a downer on things.

11:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to go to Havana 89/90 class vibe at the time, Philmores in Saltburn 91 as well was an eye opener!

12:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

started of my days in the havana club, great vibe, the foundation of dance in the north east,then philmores which took it to another level, excuse the punt. They certainly dont spin them like they used to.

8:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL to hear mention of the Club Havavana,Only a bairn then barely 18!took my first dove in their,sat in the bathroom sink all night wondering what the f**k was going on.

Mananged to download a load of the classics at soulseek.
ULTRAVIOLET kITES
CASSANOVA
SINEAD ROSA
NEON
LAST RHYTHM
ASHA JJ TRIBUTE
KARIYA....just a few
keep in touch.

8:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't too keen on the Hacienda either and you're right there was much better clubs around at the time

I came from Middlesbrough so I was a bit of a regular at the Havana in the summer of 89.the havana was as the chavers now say proper mentallllllllll

1:27 am  
Blogger london cokehead said...

Club havana was, and still is one of the best clubs I ever went to. It was dark, proper underground and DJ Huey kicked fukin ass....

Rrrrr oldskool, I miss it!

4:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

club havana & doves were the best thing to ever happen in the north of england cant say to much now just found your site & im very emotional what a time of pure he we are adolesance, yours thankfully a 33 year old havana dreamer

12:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

philiew

got a spare copy of "dreams of santa anna"...along with a load of other late 80's early 90's bits...

get in touch....

i somehow managed to only get to the havana once - backend of 91...rubbish performance on my part, seeing as though a couple of car loads were going down in 1990 from peterlee way..

london cokehead - track down the 3cd "hacienda clasics"...1st mix from 82/86 is a lesson and a half.

3:15 pm  
Blogger BOPPA said...

Yeah,I was one of the people that made the pilgramage from Peterlee every weekend down to the best club in the country at the time.

The atmosphere was electric and you always came out soaking wet with sweat dripping off you!

Bring back the good old days when E's were E's and everyone was up all night having a laugh.

9:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to here the club havana get a good mention, i did my growing up there! acid, whizz, then the E's! all doved up to the top tunes of 89, 90 & 91...when it moved onto the arena, it was never the same. Philmores was good but a little too ravey! Club Havana, the only sound of the North East! sounds of the underground! loved it ;)

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redcar crew, who rocks you!

9:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home